Adding adequate insulation is one of the most cost-effective home improvements that you can do.
Tax Credit Amount: 10% of the cost, up to $500
Typical bulk insulation products can qualify, such as batts, rolls, blow-in fibers, rigid boards, expanding spray, and pour-in-place.
Products that air seal (reduce air leaks) can also qualify, as long as they come with a Manufacturers Certification Statement, including:
- Weather stripping
- Spray foam in a can, designed to air seal
- Caulk designed to air seal
- House wrap
Tax Credit does NOT include installation costs. But, you can install the insulation/home sealing yourself and get the credit.
- How to apply
- Insulation efficiency through Home Performance with ENERGY STAR
- Heat & Cool Efficiently at Home
* ** Information courtesy EnergyStar.gov